Study the importance of developing language in context and providing meaningful learning experiences that motivate young children.
Weekly study2 hours
English in Early Childhood: Context and Communication
Learn from language experts to deliver effective communication with children
On this two-week course, you’ll discover how to encourage talk and what to consider when communicating with young children.
The course has been produced by the British Council, global providers of high-quality English language courses and experts in language development. You’ll reflect on ways to communicate effectively with young children.
Understand positive communication strategies with children
You’ll learn how to communicate with young children in a supportive manner.
You’ll look at the considerations when talking to children, and what you can do to encourage language development. You’ll understand the different interaction types and how to use positive strategies to motivate children.
Learn how to encourage a child’s emotional development
You’ll look at the connection between a child’s well-being and their ability to communicate and why the interactions we have with children are so important for encouraging communication, and language development.
You’ll understand how to praise children and avoid labelling, in order to nurture a growth mindset, and how to develop a child’s confidence.
Support whole child development and learning English in context
Learn how to guide a child’s language learning experience and explore how children develop language in the context of relationships and the environment around them. You’ll learn how to make learning English meaningful, interesting and fun while developing the whole child while they learn many things at once.
What topics will you cover?
- Encouraging talk - what should we consider when communicating with young children?
- Emotional development - praise and labelling, nurturing a growth mindset.
- Developing the whole child - learning many things at once.
- Learning English in context - exploring activities and experiences that are motivating and meaningful.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Reflect on ways to communicate effectively with young children.
- Explore meaningful learning and developing language in context.
- Discuss emotional wellbeing and mindsets.
Who is the course for?
This course is for parents of young children, English teachers of young children and early years practitioners who want to understand and assist young children in learning English as an additional language. It will suit you if you have an interest in early childhood development.
Who developed the course?
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million people overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join: