How did a peace treaty signed by an English king in 1215 become such an important symbol of liberty and human rights around the world?
This course will start by looking at the events that led to the signing of Magna Carta in 1215, before examining the role the Magna Carta has played in shaping history – from American independence to liberation movements around the world.
Finally, we will look at the relevance of Magna Carta to the 21st century.
At each step of the course, you will be taken through each topic and introduced to a language focus, by looking at some examples of English in use in videos and texts.
Short quizzes will help you check your understanding and you’ll be asked to join discussions with other learners around the world.
The Historical Context
- Why do we still talk about Magna Carta?
- 1215 - The Context for Magna Carta
- Events which followed the signing of Magna Carta
Magna Carta around the world
- Magna Carta through the ages
- The American Declaration of Independence
- Universal Suffrage
- Magna Carta and Liberation
Magna Carta today
- Human Rights
- Digital Rights
- Democracy versus liberty
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the events that led to the signing of Magna Carta in 1215.
- Investigate the role Magna Carta has played in shaping history.
- Evaluate the relevance of Magna Carta to the 21st century.
- Reflect on language in use.
- Develop language skills and practise using new language.
- Contribute to discussions with other learners around the world.
Who is the course for?
The course is aimed at non-native English speakers at around intermediate level (approximately B1 on the CEFR) or above.
Improve your English language skills while discovering key aspects of British culture, from Shakespeare to live music, and more.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLMagnaCarta to talk about this course on social media.