Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
How did a peace treaty signed by an English king in 1215 become such an important symbol of liberty and human rights around the world?
This course will start by looking at the events that led to the signing of Magna Carta in 1215, before examining the role the Magna Carta has played in shaping history – from American independence to liberation movements around the world.
Finally, we will look at the relevance of Magna Carta to the 21st century.
At each step of the course, you will be taken through each topic and introduced to a language focus, by looking at some examples of English in use in videos and texts.
Short quizzes will help you check your understanding and you’ll be asked to join discussions with other learners around the world.
The Historical Context
- Why do we still talk about Magna Carta?
- 1215 - The Context for Magna Carta
- Events which followed the signing of Magna Carta
Magna Carta around the world
- Magna Carta through the ages
- The American Declaration of Independence
- Universal Suffrage
- Magna Carta and Liberation
Magna Carta today
- Human Rights
- Digital Rights
- Democracy versus liberty
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Create a shareable certificate link for your CV and LinkedIn.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Share your certificate
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the events that led to the signing of Magna Carta in 1215.
- Investigate the role Magna Carta has played in shaping history.
- Evaluate the relevance of Magna Carta to the 21st century.
- Reflect on language in use.
- Develop language skills and practise using new language.
- Contribute to discussions with other learners around the world.
Who is the course for?
The course is aimed at non-native English speakers at around intermediate level (approximately B1 on the CEFR) or above.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join: