Learn how instructional leadership can motivate staff, transform teaching and learning, and help students to succeed.
Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineHow it works
Exploring Instructional Leadership in Education
Discover the link between effective leadership and improved student outcomes
Instructional leaders in schools create supportive and collaborative learning environments for staff and students.
On this three-week course, you’ll explore the role of instructional leadership techniques in affecting student outcomes and how to embed them into your school’s practices.
Develop transparent approaches to staff performance management
School leaders play an important part in monitoring, evaluating, and reviewing teaching and learning practices. This is key for assessing strengths and weaknesses in school and targeting areas for improvement.
You’ll learn to develop transparent approaches for assessing teaching and learning, ensuring your staff feel supported while improving teaching practices and student outcomes.
Lead teacher learning and development and raise standards in your school
Educational researchers have discovered a direct link between a school leader’s involvement in teaching and learning and student attainment.
On this course you’ll develop the skills most recognised as impactful for student outcomes. You’ll learn to define great teaching and discover techniques to help your teaching staff also develop these skills within a supportive learning community.
Create a collaborative school culture with a shared vision
A school vision should focus on quality teaching and learning, resulting in excellent student achievement.
You’ll learn how to define your school’s mission, creating a program that promotes a positive learning climate. With this knowledge, you’ll be able to develop your school’s culture in line with your mission and vision goals.
By the end of the course, you’ll have the tools to begin creating a vision for instructional leadership in your school and to engage staff with that vision.
What topics will you cover?
- Overview of instructional leadership
- Understanding and practising instructional leadership
- Leadership practice and its impact
- Defining a school vision
- Engaging school staff
- School leaders role in raising standards
- Monitoring, evaluating and reviewing school and classroom practice
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and join a global classroom of learners. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore what it means to be an effective leader
- Identify great teaching and learning in a team or across a school
- Apply your vision of a learning environment where everyone feels valued
- Explore how instructional leadership techniques can motivate staff, engage students and transform teaching and learning
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for school leaders and aspiring leaders who want to expand their knowledge of teaching and learning.
Who will you learn with?
I've worked in EFL/ESL for 25 years, living in Germany, Poland and Hungary, as well as training teachers worldwide on CELTA courses. I have a PGDip in IT (humanities) and an MLitt in Creative Writing.
I've specialised in Teacher Training and Early Years in North Africa, South Asia and Eastern Europe. Passionate about supporting teachers and providing remote access to education.
Who developed the course?
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million people overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
British Council are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
More courses you might like
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.