Weekly study3 hours
The Fall of the Roman Republic
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Covering the last century of the Roman Republic, this course will help you to understand the Republic’s collapse and how the emergence of the Roman Empire came about. You will gain an overview of the development of the Republic, as well as exploring significant aspects of Roman society, religion, and governance.
Major key figures such as The Gracchi, Marius, Sulla, Pompey, and Caesar are covered, showing how each contributed to the eventual fall of the Republic.
What topics will you cover?
- Roman Society and the Emergence of Rome
- Government of the Republic
- The Gracchi
- Sulla and Marius
- Pompey and Caesar
- Octavian the Empire
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Interpret ancient texts in translation about the fall of the Roman Republic
- Identify the chronological events leading to the development of the Roman Empire
- Discuss events surrounding the collapse of the Republic
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone wishing to know more about Roman society, the Roman Republic, or the development of the Roman Empire. No prior experience is necessary.
Who will you learn with?
I teach several courses in Ancient Greek and Roman history at Colorado State University. My research interests include religion, women and divination in antiquity.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLRomanRepublic to talk about this course on social media.