- Duration4 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
The Fall of the Roman Republic
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Covering the last century of the Roman Republic, this course will help you to understand the Republic’s collapse and how the emergence of the Roman Empire came about. You will gain an overview of the development of the Republic, as well as exploring significant aspects of Roman society, religion, and governance.
Major key figures such as The Gracchi, Marius, Sulla, Pompey, and Caesar are covered, showing how each contributed to the eventual fall of the Republic.
- Roman Society and the Emergence of Rome
- Government of the Republic
- The Gracchi
- Sulla and Marius
- Pompey and Caesar
- Octavian the Empire
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Interpret ancient texts in translation about the fall of the Roman Republic
- Identify the chronological events leading to the development of the Roman Empire
- Discuss events surrounding the collapse of the Republic
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone wishing to know more about Roman society, the Roman Republic, or the development of the Roman Empire. No prior experience is necessary.