Learn everyday Irish using practical examples
Irish is a fascinating and ancient language, intertwined with millennia of history and culture.
On this course, you’ll discover how to speak everyday Irish, learning key phrases for shopping, travel, and study. Developing from Irish 203, you’ll explore the essentials of Irish grammar, learning to engage with elements of Irish culture and mythology through storytelling, music, literature, and song.
Whether you’re planning to visit Ireland, or are part of the Irish diaspora wanting to discover more about your history, this is the perfect place to start moving to intermediate Irish.
What topics will you cover?
- Shopping – Learn how to discuss and describe different goods in Irish, such as clothes, furniture, etc. Discuss how to purchase a present and share opinions regarding different goods.
- Making Arrangements – Learn how to make both formal and informal arrangements in Irish, how to cancel or postpone an arrangement, and offer apologies and excuses.
- Travel – Learn how to talk about different countries in Irish. Discuss one’s holiday activities, describe the weather and one’s opinions regarding different types of weather. Enquire about another’s holiday activities.
- Holiday Arrangements – Learn how to describe and arrange a holiday in Irish. Discuss costs, transport, essentials to pack and how to book accommodation and flights.
- Different aspects of Irish grammar specific to the components above will be covered.
- Cultural elements pertaining to the topics outlined above will be used to show the connection of the language with Irish culture.
- Review – recap on the elements which have been learned over the previous weeks.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Discuss shopping in Irish, such as purchasing clothes, furniture and other items.
- Describe formal and informal arrangements and how to cancel or postpone an event.
- Compare and give information about travel, holidays and the weather in Irish.
- Engage with pieces of spoken and written Irish based on the themes of the course.
- Develop short written tasks using set phrases relating to specific topics covered in the course.
- Explain orally information and opinions in Irish relating to the themes of the course.
- Learn different aspects of Irish grammar in context.
- Engage with elements of Irish culture and mythology through storytelling, music, literature and song.
Who is the course for?
The course is aimed at adult elementary language learners wanting to work towards intermediate level Irish, including the Irish diaspora, international Irish language and cultural enthusiasts, indigenous learners of the language who wish to learn more about the language, and anyone who wants to learn the basics of Irish and the culture associated with it.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get: