Weekly study3 hours
Good Brain, Bad Brain: Basics
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Understand your own amazing brain
We will look at what your brain is made of, how these components are organised and how they function.
This information is helping neuroscientists across the globe understand the brain - and how it is able to do everything from stopping you falling off your bike, to making you feel sad that your football team lost their game, to helping you learn how your brain works.
- The cells of the nervous system: neurones and glia
- Basic neuroanatomy of the brain and the concept of the relationship between structure and function
- Basic properties of neurones, including an introduction to the action potential
- A brief introduction to the functioning of the synapse
- Examples of drugs (legal and therapeutic) that alter the function of neurones and synapses
- Examples of brain disorders that illustrate how some functions are highly localised, such as the sensory systems, whilst others are distributed throughout the brain, such as emotion
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the key features of the cells that make up the human nervous system that allow them to carry out their function
- Explain how the arrangement of these cells within the human brain relates to brain function
- Explain how drugs can impact on the normal function of neurones of the brain
- Discuss how brain disorders can impact on the functioning of the brain
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone with an interest in finding out the fundamentals of how the human brain works. It assumes that you will have basic school-level biological knowledge.
You might be doing your A-levels and considering a neuroscience-related degree; a computer-scientist interested in neural networks; or in business and wondering how the workings of your employees’ brains influences the culture of your business.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.