- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study4 hours
- Extra BenefitsFrom $69
Good Brain, Bad Brain: Drug Origins
Where do drugs come from?
We’ll start by reflecting on the nature of medicines and look at the history of some everyday drugs that have been taken by humans for centuries.
This will show us that many commonly used drugs were found somewhat accidentally - and often without any understanding of the science behind how they worked. Over time, this apparently random process has been refined and improved, so we’ll go on to consider recent advances in identifying potential drugs.
- What is meant by the term “drug”
- What do we need drugs for
- How drugs are discovered: from natural substances to rational drug design
- What factors have to be considered when developing the chemical molecule with therapeutic potential into a drug that patients can take
- How is the safety of the drug tested and monitored
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify a definition for the term drug
- Discuss how the purpose of drugs can be for symptom relief, to cure a disease or to prevent a disease
- Compare estimates for the length of time it takes to produce a drug and the cost of the process
- Identify the different mechanisms by which drugs have been discovered and how these have changed over time
- Explain how an understanding of the molecular structure of a drug target molecule can lead to the development of new drugs
- Describe the journey that a drug has to take through the body to its target and the factors that influence how much drug arrives at the target
- Compare the different routes by which drugs can be administered
- Explain how drug formulation impacts on how the drug works in the body
- Discuss the purpose of the various phases of clinical trials of drug development
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone with an interest in finding out where the drugs that keep us healthy come from. To take the course, the only experience you need is to have taken a drug - even just a throat lozenge.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLbraindrugs to talk about this course on social media.