Weekly study2 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $59
The Ideal of Self-Governance: Public Policy Beyond Markets and States
Explore the opportunities and limitations of citizenship in the 21st century
On this course, you’ll explore a range of institutional responses to social problems.
Using real-world examples, you’ll discover the role and vibrant world of citizen action groups, community businesses, local governments, and public entrepreneurs.
You’ll explore the strengths and weaknesses of self-governance through major policy challenges like climate change and the housing crisis.
You’ll also be introduced to economic, political, and sociological concepts as you reimagine traditional ideas of public policy and challenge narratives about what ordinary people can achieve in public life.
- What is governance?
- What is the problem of public goods?
- How does governance function beyond markets and states?
- Examples of governance in different public policy spheres
- What are the conditions and limitations for different forms of governance?
- Being a citizen in a self-governing society
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain how self-governance differs from market and state approaches to governance
- Describe how self-governing institutions can solve what economists call collective action problems
- Describe the role of public entrepreneurs in relation to self-governance institutions
- Evaluate the key arguments in favour of self-governance institutions and apply these to real-world case studies
- Debate the limitations of self-governing institutions
- Reflect on the relationship between citizenship and self-governance
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about governance and public policy.
This may be final year school students and university students seeking an introduction to the subject, or policy and media professionals and MPs who require more a thorough understanding of governance.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.