A Guide for Nurses on Meeting the Fundamental Care Needs of Patients in Hospital with COVID-19 and other Conditions
Learn how to provide effective fundamental nursing care to patients
This course will support nurses and care workers to learn about the COVID-NURSE clinical guideline for patients admitted to hospital in a pandemic.
You will also learn how to apply the specific lessons drawn from the COVID-19 pandemic to other nursing care situations.
Learn from the experiences of nurses involved in caring for patients during the COVID-19 pandemic
The combination of COVID-19 symptoms and high risk of virus transmission poses unique challenges for meeting the fundamental physical and emotional needs of patients’ and their significant others.
The COVID-NURSE clinical guideline is the result of information from over 1000 nurses about the challenges they have faced, and the practice-based innovations they have used, when caring for patients with COVID-19 during the pandemic.
Explore fundamental nursing care for patients
On this course, you’ll identify barriers to care for patients admitted to hospital and how to overcome them.
You’ll learn how to further enhance your compassionate nurse-patient relationship in both pandemic-specific and general clinical situations, and how to address the psychosocial needs of patients in hospital.
Build strategies to support the health and wellbeing of you and your colleagues
This course will also enable you to role model and lead practice-based innovations for patients admitted to hospital, both specifically with COVID-19, and for many other groups of patients.
Upon completion of the course, you’ll be better equipped to support yourself and your colleagues in delivering fundamental care.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Summarise the six sections that make up the COVID-NURSE clinical guideline
- Describe the barriers to fundamental nursing care for patients admitted to hospital, including those with COVID-19
- Explore strategies for prioritising and structuring fundamental nursing care for all patients and the nursing environment within which care is delivered
- Apply clinical judgement about which aspects of the COVID-NURSE guideline you implement in your own clinical practice
- Demonstrate leadership behaviours in COVID-specific and other situations
- Contribute to a community of practice by sharing your own experiences, challenges and innovations when caring for patients’ fundamental care needs
Who is the course for?
This nursing training course is designed for professionally registered nurses and non-registered care staff who provide fundamental care to their patients.
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.