What topics will you cover?
- Introduction to the structure and function of the cardiovascular system, consisting of the circulatory system and the heart as a pump
- The circulatory system – including the different blood vessels, the blood cells and plasma
- The structure of the heart – including its four chambers, the major blood vessels that enter and exit the heart, the smaller blood vessels that supply the heart muscle with vital blood and oxygen and the heart valves that regulate the flow of blood through the heart
- The cardiac cycle and how this relates to an ECG (electro cardiogram)
- Investigation of the structure of the heart through a hands-on practical activity
- Introduction to the process of atherosclerosis
- What is angina?
- Introduction to haemostasis and thrombosis
- What is a heart attack?
- What is a stroke?
- Investigation of the effects of thrombosis through a hands-on practical activity
- What is heart failure?
- What is hypertension?
- What is valvular disease?
- What are arrhythmias?
- Investigation of the effects of heart failure through a hands-on practical activity
- Non-modifiable risk factors for cardiovascular disease including age, gender and genetics
- Modifiable risk factors for cardiovascular disease including smoking, stress, cholesterol, obesity, diet, and physical activity
- Lifestyle choices that can be made to try and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease
- Calculating the risk of cardiovascular disease with the QRisk Cardiovascular Disease Risk Calculator
- Investigation of one’s own life style choices
Buy a personalised, digital and printed certificate and transcript
Certificate of Achievement + transcript £49.00
Statement of Participation £34.00
Charges to your account will be made in GBP. Prices in local currency are provided as a convenience and are only an estimate based on current exchange rates.
Share this course
Use the hashtag #FLhearthealth to join and contribute to social media conversations about this course