- Duration4 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineTry this course for free
- Extra BenefitsFrom $74
Heart Health: A Beginner's Guide to Cardiovascular Disease
Understand cardiovascular disease and learn how to keep your heart healthy
Your heart beats around 100,000 times a day, pumping blood around your body to deliver oxygen and nutrients, while taking away waste products. When your heart is unhealthy, it can’t perform this vital task so effectively.
This course will improve your knowledge of how the heart works, the causes of cardiovascular diseases such as heart attacks, strokes, high blood pressure and heart failure and what you can do to avoid them.
You’ll cover both theory and practical aspects of heart health, learning from lab demonstrations and practical activities so you better understand your own heart.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the structure and function of the cardiovascular system, including the circulatory system and heart
- Describe the basis of several cardiovascular diseases including heart attacks, strokes, hypertension and heart failure
- Evaluate the various risk factors that can contribute towards increasing a person’s risk of cardiovascular disease
- Discuss some of the lifestyle choices that we can make to try and reduce our risk of cardiovascular disease
- Apply theoretical knowledge and investigate a topic through practical activities
- Investigate and process data
- Investigate a topic and evaluate the reliability of your sources
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone with an interest in how the heart works and the diseases that commonly affect it. It will help if you have a basic understanding of human biology, but we’ll explain things in a way that will be easy for those who are unfamiliar with the subject. If you get stuck, you can always ask questions in the comments and other learners may be able to help you.
Healthcare practitioners may also enjoy this as a gentle refresher or resource to share with patients.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLhearthealth to talk about this course on social media.