Weekly study3 hours
Histology: Using Microscopy to Study Anatomy and Identify Disease
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
This free online course will help you understand the basic principles of light microscopy, before introducing you to histology, concentrating on the structure, function and relationship of normal human tissues.
You will gain access to a virtual microscope, enabling you to compare normal tissues with pathological (or diseased) tissues, and find out how pathologists use histopathology, to examine tissues at a microscopic level and identify disease.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
• understand the basic principles of microscopy
• identify a number of the more common tissues from their histological appearance
• relate the structure of tissues seen under the microscope to their function
• identify gross abnormalities, such as neurodegeneration, inflammation and cancer.
This courses has been produced with the kind support of Dangoor Education.
- An introduction to histology and the role or histopathology in diagnosis of disease
- Development of skills in using a light microscope and understanding the potentials and limits of the instrument
- Description of how histological slides are produced, stained and interpreted
- Development of the ability to identify a number of cell types and tissues from their histological appearance
- Description of the structures of a number of tissues with relationship to their functions
- Description of some major pathological changes and their histological appearance
- Development of the ability to identify histopathological changes and their relationship to the underlying disease processes
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Apply and understand the basic principles of microscopy
- Identify a number of the more common tissues from their histological appearance
- Assess and understand the relationship between the structure of some tissues seen under the microscope and their function
- Identify gross histological abnormalities, such as neurodegeneration, inflammation and cancer
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for students studying human biology at school or university, medical laboratory scientists and anyone interested in biomedical science.
You will be making extensive use of a virtual microscope that will work on all modern browsers on both desktops and tablets. However, we recommend completing the course on a desktop for better viewing of the sections and to enable integration of microscopy with the course text, images and video in separate windows.
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020