Hosting Simple Web Applications Using Amazon Lightsail
Discover software solutions for web apps using AWS Lightsail
Amazon Lightsail is an AWS service that helps developers deploy, manage, and test small-scale web apps, ecommerce, personal websites, and more.
This two-week course will equip you with the tools to optimise and scale your web apps, using the Lightsail console.
Create and deploy a LAMP Stack instance
You’ll begin the course by setting up your AWS account and familiarising yourself with the basics of Lightfall and app hosting services on AWS.
Moving on, you’ll explore the components of the LAMP stack, learning how to create an instance, or virtual machine, in the cloud.
Guided step-by-step, you’ll discover how to deploy your instance in Lightsail, equipping you with flexible and efficient solutions to build high quality web apps.
Add functionality to your web applications
Lightsail features a range of services to improve the management of your web apps, as well as the user experience.
You’ll learn how to expand your storage options, using managed databases and buckets. You’ll gain an overview of storage plans and pricing, allowing you to budget according to the scale of your project.
Learn to optimise and scale your Lightsail app
Using the tools available within Lightsail, you’ll gain the skills to make your apps more scalable, secure, and highly available.
You’ll be guided through the process of setting up a content delivery network, creating a DNS zone, and configuring app traffic to distribute evenly between servers.
With this skill set, you’ll be able to ensure your apps run smoothly and effectively, minimising the chance of an outage and reducing delays for users on a global scale.
By the end of this course, you’ll have an introductory knowledge of AWS Lightsail and its functionality within the building, deployment, and management of your web apps.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Differentiate between several application-hosting services on AWS
- Describe the capabilities of Amazon Lightsail
- Set up an account on AWS
- Create and deploy a LAMP-stack instance on Lightsail
- Differentiate between dynamic and static IP addresses
- Assign a static IP address to the application
- Deploy a managed database on Lightsail
- Run MySQL commands to create a database and seed database tables with pet data
- Store images in object storage on Lightsail
- Create a bucket metric alarm to receive notifications when the bucket is reaching its storage limit
- Distribute media content to edge locations by using a content delivery network (CDN)
- Create a load balancer to evenly distribute network traffic to your application
- Take a snapshot of a primary instance and attach it to a load balancer
- Set up a Domain Name System (DNS) zone, along with the DNS records
- Transfer management of your domain’s DNS records to Amazon Lightsail
- Create the SSL/TLS certificate for a load balancer so that you can secure the network connection
- Differentiate between vertical scaling and horizontal scaling
- Determine what to do if you want to expand beyond the capabilities of Lightsail
- Delete resources that you configured in Lightsail to avoid incurring costs
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for web developers who want to further their knowledge of hosting web applications with Amazon Lightsail.
Who developed the course?
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world’s most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud platform, offering over 200 fully featured services from data centers globally. Millions of customers—including the fastest-growing startups, largest enterprises, and leading government agencies—are using AWS to lower costs, become more agile, and innovate faster.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.