Discover how understanding human factors can improve patient safety
Human factors is the study of how humans behave and interact with each other and their surroundings. It considers how humans interact in the workplace and how, due to the inevitability of human error, mistakes are likely to occur.
On this course you will look at human factors in a healthcare environment, an area where it is vital to limit mistakes because human error can affect patient safety. You will learn about systems that pre-empt the inevitability of human error and can help improve clinical practice and patient safety as a whole.
What topics will you cover?
- Why Human error occurs
- Cognitive Short Topics of Human Factors
- Human factor case studies
- Participant reflection and self evaluation to promote awareness of human factors
- Strategies to improve communication within the workplace
- Developing a safety culture
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop an awareness of human error and how this can affect clinical performance
- Describe the different cognitive categories under the umbrella term of human factors
- Discuss the importance of effective communication within healthcare
- Develop an effective and open safety culture within everyday practice
Who is the course for?
This course is for healthcare professionals of all levels, but many of the topics discussed are transferable across other industries.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get: