What topics will you cover?
- Introduction to the course and field, potential learning objectives, and leading definitions of what constitutes “intercultural communication”.
- Exploration of story narratives, metaphors, and meanings related to interculturality.
- Analysis of situated cases to identify sources of intercultural misunderstanding.
- Benefits of intercultural applications to personal life, business and education.
- Variations in personal, social, and cultural identity, and cultivate greater awareness and sensitivity to one’s own and other’s cultural identities.
- Exposure to and appreciation of cross-cultural complexity through the social learning engagement of this international community.
- Social perceptions of stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination related to intergroup contact.
- Variations and perceptions of typical communication behaviors or practices and taxonomies for understanding context, space, time and other contextual factors (Hi-low Context, Proxemics, Monochronic-Polychronic, Silence).
- Exposure to and application of leading values frameworks and levels of analysis that undergird cultural assumptions, expectations, and behaviors (from Hall, Hofstede, Schwartz, the WVS).
- Experiential descriptions of culture shock and coping dynamics, adaptation processes, and growth outcomes in cross-cultural transitions.
- Reflection on complex cases, other’s comments, and replies to enhance mindful observation, analysis, and understanding toward cultivating intercultural competence.
Get extra benefits, upgrade this course. For $79 you’ll get:
Upgrading will mean you get unlimited access to the course.
If you’re taking a course for free you have access to the course for its duration + 14 days, regardless of when you join. If you upgrade the course you have access for as long as the course exists on FutureLearn.
A Certificate of Achievement
Upgrading means you’ll receive a Certificate of Achievement when you complete the course.
To receive a Certificate of Achievement you need to mark 90% of the steps on the course as complete.
Share this course
Use the hashtag #FLintercultural to join and contribute to social media conversations about this course