This course is part of the Intermediate German: People, Places, and Traditions ExpertTrack
Intermediate German: Countries and Landscapes
Examine the human and physical geography of German-speaking countries and the language used to discuss them.
Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineHow it works
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/monthFind out more
Intermediate German: Countries and Landscapes
Develop your German language skills to talk about places and environments
On this four-week course, you’ll take an in-depth look at different regions of Germany, guided by the people who live there.
You’ll gain authentic insights into the landscapes of Germany as you listen to native speakers talk about their favourite places. You’ll discover facts about the physical geography and population of the areas including the cities of Hamburg and Passau, and learn to talk about a wider variety of rural and urban places in more depth.
Improve your understanding of German grammar and vocabulary through research
You’ll build your language skills through reading a variety of authentic German online source materials to research a region of your choice. You’ll revisit prepositions, and improve your ability to use superlatives to talk about the features of a region or country. You’ll also discover a range of new ways to talk about your preferences, likes and dislikes of the areas you’ve researched.
Develop your German pronunciation through practical activities
Engaging activities throughout the course will help you to develop your listening skills and to understand authentic spoken German. There will be plenty of opportunities to engage with others on the course to practise and discuss your learning.
By the end of this course, you’ll have developed your linguistic skills, whilst also contextualising your cultural knowledge of countries where German is spoken.
What topics will you cover?
- Describing the physical geography of a country or region
- Discovering waters and rivers in German-speaking countries and their influence on the landscape and local people, in particular the rivers flowing through Passau and the Elbe river in Hamburg
- Discovering the cities of Hamburg and Passau - their geographical location and what they have to offer
- Talking about likes, dislikes and preferences
Prove you're job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Communicate with enhanced confidence in written and spoken German
- Apply your knowledge of basic German grammar and use a wider range of vocabulary
- Draw on new insights into the physical and human geography of German-speaking countries
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those with a good basic knowledge of German (fully at Level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages ‘Elementary’) who want to improve their German language skills and deepen their knowledge of German culture.
This course will be useful to those who wish to improve their competence in German to help further their career or have a general interest in contemporary German-speaking societies and cultures.
Who will you learn with?
Dr Susanne Winchester is an Associate Lecturer in German at The Open University and has authored on various German modules. She has a special interest in learning theory and vocabulary learning.
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn