Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Intermediate Spanish: The Worlds of Spanish
Sharpen your Spanish and interact with confidence
This four-week course will introduce you to the rich diversity of the Spanish language, contemporary cultures, and geographies. You’ll gain an overview of key linguistic aspects and be able to engage and use them confidently.
Drawing on the vocabulary and structures you learnt as a beginner, you’ll discover a variety of new ways to introduce yourself and how to share details about yourself and your cultural background. You’ll also discuss different formalities in the way you address people in Spanish, which will help you respond appropriately in different settings and scenarios.
You’ll find out how to express your personal wishes, ambitions, and expectations to others. From the very start, you’ll be able to put your new knowledge into practice by sharing and interacting with other learners.
Explore the cultural and linguistic diversity of the Spanish language
Through engaging and insightful videos, audios, articles, and activities, you’ll develop a deeper understanding of the diversity of Spanish and Latin American cultures, languages, and geographies.
You’ll discover the answers to questions like which countries have Spanish as their official language and what other co-official languages there are in those countries. You’ll also be able to express facts about yourself, such as what it’s like where you live.
Learn how to express family life and relationships
Through this course, you’ll explore aspects of modern-day families and relationships and learn ways to describe your own relationships. You’ll make use of vocabulary you already know while also learning new ways to describe your friends and family and express things you do on a regular basis.
- Studying language in context: looking at the many uses and forms of Spanish language in the world
- Identifying levels of formality
- Diversity and interculturality in the worlds of Spanish
- Describing social structures and modern families
- Expressing habitual actions
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Discuss cultural, linguistic and social topics in the Worlds of Spanish
- Reflect on the diversity of Spanish language
- Apply new language skills and practise using new grammar structures
- Describe people and places, experiences and events
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those with a good basic knowledge of Spanish (fully at Level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference), who would like to improve their competence in the language and deepen their understanding of different cultures.
Who developed the course?
As the UK’s largest university, The Open University (OU) supports thousands of students to achieve their goals and ambitions via supported distance learning, helping to fit learning around professional and personal life commitments.
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends