- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
An Introduction to the Assessment of People at Work
Understand how, when and why we need to assess people at work
Why do we assess people at work? How do we do it?
On this course you will look into the history of assessing people at work. You will gain an overview of the methods and techniques used, as well as consider the employee life cycle to identify when we may assess people and why.
You will examine the legislation which should be adhered to, as well as review the role of ethics in the recruitment, selection and development process. You will also discuss different types of reliability and validity assessed during test development.
- The history of assessing people at work – how, when and why?
- The role of legislation and ethics.
- A brief overview of the employee cycle in relation to assessment.
- A brief overview of pre-selection and selection methods.
- Different types of reliability and validity.
- The difference between recruitment, selection and development.
- A brief overview of assessment for development.
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the history of assessing people at work, as well as how we assess them, when and why.
- Identify the legislation which should be adhered to when assessing people at work.
- Explain the role of ethics in the recruitment, selection, and development process.
- Describe the difference between recruitment, selection and development in relation to assessment at work.
- Discuss the advantages of assessing people at work.
- Identify the different types of reliability and validity assessed during test development and validation along with their meaning.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone looking to gain a better understanding of assessment in the workplace. It is part of the MSc Business and Organisational Psychology, which is accredited by the Association for Business Psychology.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!
How do degrees work on FutureLearn?
Which program and degree is this course part of?
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #AssessmentPeopleWork to talk about this course on social media.