Explore the world of cyber security and develop the skills needed to stay safe
Modern life depends on online services, so having a better understanding of cyber security threats is vital.
On this course, guided by Cory Doctorow, you’ll learn how to recognise online security threats that could harm you and explore the steps you can take to minimise your risk.
The course will improve your online safety in the context of the wider world, introducing concepts like malware, trojan virus, network security, cryptography, identity theft, and risk management.
The course is supported by the UK Government’s National Cyber Security Programme, is GCHQ Certified Training and IISP accredited.
- Threat landscape: terminology, cyber security threats, keeping up to date
- Authentication: access control, passwords, two-factor authentication
- Malware: types of malware, attack vectors, preventing infection
- Networking and communications: fundamentals, security challenges, standards
- Cryptography: symmetric and asymmetric cryptography, applications
- Network security: firewalls, virtual private networks, intrusion detection / prevention
- When your defences fail: cyber security laws, recovering from attacks
- Managing security risks: risk analysis and management
Who is this accredited by?
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain basic cyber security terminology; have skills for keeping up to date on cyber security issues; and be able to identify information assets.
- Describe basic authentication mechanisms; have skills to improve their password security; and be aware of alternative authentication methods.
- Identify main malware types; awareness of different malware propagation methods; and skills for preventing malware infections.
- Describe cryptography terminology; be able to use cryptography for email; be aware of applications of cryptography.
- Demonstrate understanding of firewalls, virtual private networks and network intrusion detection and prevention technologies.
- Describe legal and regulatory issues relating to cyber security; and understand how to recover from security failures.
- Apply basic risk analysis and management techniques.
Who is the course for?
The course does not assume any prior knowledge of computer security and can be enjoyed by anyone interested in improving the security of their digital information, whether at home or at work.
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
- LocationMilton Keynes, UK
- World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLcybersec to talk about this course on social media.