Understand the impact of long-term conditions
The number of people living with one or more long-term conditions is on the rise. Nurses have responsibilities to reduce the risk of people developing long-term conditions and helping people manage the conditions they’re suffering from.
On this course, you will explore the impact of long-term conditions on both an international and national scale. You will examine the perspectives of patients, their families, and professionals and apply these insights to your own experiences as a nurse.
What topics will you cover?
- The definition of long-term conditions
- International policies
- The incidence of long-term conditions across a lifespan
- Actions taken to achieve targets in long-term conditions care
- Reflections from patients’ and professionals’ experiences
- The impact of long-term conditions on families
- Implications of policy for local practice
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Debate critically what is meant by long-term conditions and the role of the nurse in their management
- Investigate the global impact of long-term conditions
- Identify international measures to reduce the burden of long-term conditions
Who is the course for?
This course is for qualified nurses who work with people living with long-term conditions, whether in acute, community or primary care settings.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.
See all FutureLearn Reviews
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!
How do degrees work on FutureLearn?
Which program and degree is this course part of?
This course is part of the program Contemporary Perspectives of Care for Individuals with Long-Term Conditions, which is one of the building blocks that leads to a degree in MSc Nursing.
Explore how a range of conditions affect individuals, families and communities, in order to understand how to provide excellent care and improve the lives of those living with long-term conditions.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #anintroductiontolongtermconditions to talk about this course on social media.