Ensure your investments are effective and match your risk-return appetite
Research shows that UK households are poor at investment management, with a limited understanding of choices, risks and returns. This could mean that many people cannot afford to retire in future.
This online course will give you the tools to avoid this nightmare. You will study investment choices, and the risks and returns of each; investment strategies and your risk-return appetite; and behaviours that can impair effective investment decisions.
The Open University’s Centre for the Public Understanding of Finance created this course, with the generous support of True Potential LLP.
What topics will you cover?
- Investment planning and decision-making
- Savings and investment products
- Investment risks
- Investment theories – diversification, portfolio theory, capital-asset pricing model
- Investment theories – efficient market hypothesis, random walk theory, chartism
- Investment in practice – methods employed by fund managers
- Historical analysis of investment returns
- Historical investment episodes and what we learn from them
- Individual human behavioural biases and investment decision-making
- Group human behavioural biases and investment decision-making
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
For further information about registration, the final assessment course, your eligibility and the BA in Business Management, visit the Open University website.
If you are aiming to use your study of courses in the Business and Finance Fundamentals program to obtain academic credit, please be aware that the final planned presentation of the Open University Assessment Course BXM191 Business and Finance Fundamentals in Practice starts October 2020. Please ensure that you allow yourself enough time to obtain all eight Certificates of Achievement from courses in the program before registering for the Assessment Course. The start dates of the relevant FutureLearn courses in 2019 and 2020 are available here.
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
- LocationMilton Keynes, UK
- World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLBFinvestment to talk about this course on social media.