Weekly study4 hours
Irish 201: An Introduction to Irish Language and Culture
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Learn how to describe your background, family and where you live in Irish
Build on your existing basic knowledge of the Irish language and culture. Whether you’re looking to work, study or travel in Ireland, gain a greater insight into the Irish language and improve your language skills on this engaging online course.
You will cover a range of topics that will help you speak and write about yourself, your home and family along with learning some aspects of Irish grammar. You will hear from Irish speakers who speak and use Irish everyday and learn more about Irish culture through literature, sport and music.
Date to be announced
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe one’s personal background in Irish, such as place of birth, nationality, name, age and home address
- Discuss one’s local area and place of residence
- Describe one’s family in Irish
- Discuss one’s accommodation in Irish
- Engage with pieces of spoken and written Irish based on the themes of the course
- Produce short written tasks using set phrases relating to specific topics covered in the course
- Develop confidence to express information and opinions in Irish relating to the themes of the course
- Explore different aspects of Irish grammar in context
- Engage with elements of Irish culture and mythology through storytelling, music, literature and song
Who is the course for?
This course is for adult elementary language learners working towards an intermediate level of Irish, and anyone who wants to continue to learn the basics of Irish and the culture associated with it.
Endorsers and supporters
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.