- Duration4 weeks
- Weekly study4 hours
- 100% onlineLearn at your own pace
- Extra BenefitsFrom $49
Irish 101: An Introduction to Irish Language and Culture
Learn the basics of Irish language
If you’ve always wanted to learn how to speak Irish, this course is the ideal place to start. You’ll master some of the basics of Irish, including greetings, introductions, Irish names, numbers, and other essentials.
By the time you’re finished, you’ll have a deeper understanding of the origins and cultural significance of one of the oldest literary languages in Europe.
Explore the history of the Irish language
Ireland is home to a unique language and a vibrant Gaelic culture.
On this course, you’ll discover how Irish people drew inspiration from nature to create their own unique script and alphabet. You’ll explore the origins of Ogham, and how the Irish alphabet developed.
Engage with Irish culture through language
As well as looking at the basics of the language, you’ll explore Ireland’s rich culture of dance, Gaelic games, music, storytelling and literature. You’ll gain an insight into the language of Ireland and the people who speak it.
You’ll also learn about the Gaeltachtaí – the places in Ireland where or Irish is the main language of communication.
Improve your Irish pronunciation
If you’re hoping to understand the basics of Irish pronunciation, this course gives you the chance to do so. As well as looking at things like Irish blessings and curses, you’ll also delve into some of the naming conventions used in the language.
Bígí linn – join us!
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Engage with the Irish language through culture
- Explore the beginnings of the written language through learning about OGHAM and the origins of the Irish alphabet
- Discuss greetings, blessings and curses in the Irish language
- Discuss where you and your people come from
- Describe your family, your home and your interests
- Compare Irish names and gain an understanding of naming conventions in Irish
- Explore the cultural association of the language with mythology, sport and music
- Identify the Gaeltachtaí or Irish speaking areas where Irish is the main language of communication
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone interested in Irish language, history and culture. If you’ve always wanted to learn Irish, this course gives the ideal starting point, providing context for the language and its origins.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.