Weekly study2 hours
Kickstart Your Career: Getting Ahead at University
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Learn how to make the most of university and start building your career
Thinking about the future as an undergraduate can be both exciting and terrifying - especially with regular news about changing job markets. How are you supposed to prepare for a future that’s unknown? A university degree can be a great start if your time at university is put to good use. Use this course to find out how to get the most from your university experience and start working towards a successful and satisfying career now.
What topics will you cover?
- Your vision of your future and what you want to build in your life
- Building your sense of who you are and how that affects your career choices
- Understanding the resources and skills you have now as well as those you may need in the future
- The kinds of job or business opportunities that might exist during and beyond university
- Exploring the world of work and the opportunities that exist in an industry or field
- Building your understanding of career pathways and outcomes
- How to choose a course of study
- How to get ahead and build a personal or professional point of difference
- How to approach university life and get the most from the experience
- Strategies for decision-making and planning
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify and articulate individual strengths, values, motivations and personal characteristics
- Evaluate individual strengths, values, motivations and personal characteristics
- Reflect on learning from self-awareness and opportunity awareness exercises and incorporate it into life and career goals
- Explore the labour market and identify career opportunities
- Identify potential professions related to your degree
- Investigate possible future roles and pathways in the profession
- Explore ways of connecting with people in the profession
- Assess self-awareness and knowledge of career opportunities to make career decisions
- Reflect on personal response to challenge or setbacks and consider the possibility that failure is a process of learning and an opportunity for growth
Who is the course for?
No previous knowledge or skills are required for this course. Confidence in navigating the web would be an advantage.
We’ve estimated it takes approximately four hours to complete the course. However the activities in Week 1 may be new to you and take a little longer than two hours, whereas the activities in Week 2 are more decision based and may take less than two hours. Of course if you dive deeply into all of the activities you may spend longer on the course but you’ll learn a lot about yourself and careers in the process.
Who will you learn with?
Hi there! I am an undergraduate Engineering student, majoring in Electrical Engineering with a second major in Economics and Finance. I am excited about the endless possibilities in my career.
Who developed the course?
World rankingTop 180Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLkickstartyourcareer to talk about this course on social media.