Get ready for university life and make the most of your time as a student
What do you think university life is like?
You probably have many questions about what to expect. This course will help you prepare for the best possible start, wherever you go.
You’ll hear practical advice on how to navigate university life from current students and staff as they give you an insight into the expectations vs reality, what support will be available, and common questions about what’s ahead.
Live Smart will help you to start making plans so that you can set goals for your future and build on the life skills that will help you make the most of your time at university and beyond.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1: Ready - Knowing what to expect
- What is Higher Education?
- Discovering the difference between Further Education and Higher Education
- Understanding what an academic community is and how you’re part of it
- Knowing the people around you
Week 2: Set - Preparing for university
- Practicalities: Accommodation and budgeting
- Socialising: What’s available for you
- Wellbeing: Exploring the support and resources available at university
Week 3: Go – To university and beyond
- Maintaining a work/life balance
- Networking and developing connections in and out of uni
- Finding opportunities in and out of university
- Knowing how you can make the most of your experience at uni
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain the difference between further education and higher education to understand what is expected of a university student
- Demonstrate knowledge of managing personal finances when it comes to researching accommodation, food and working with budgets
- Contribute to online discussions about shared experiences to help deepen their understanding and further their knowledge
- Improve personal and professional skills to gain confidence in and out of university
- Explore the type of support and resources available to students at their chosen university
- Develop life skills and tools that will help build independence and resilience for university life and beyond
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone considering or soon to be enrolling at university.
Parents and supporters may also find this course useful to gain a better understanding of what living at university entails, and the sources of support that are available to students throughout their undergraduate career.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #livesmart to talk about this course on social media.