Duration 6 weeks
Weekly study 3 hours
Improve your understanding of investments and the decisions you make
Research shows that UK households are poor at investment management, with a limited understanding of choices, risks and returns. This could mean that many people cannot afford to retire in future.
This online course will give you the tools to avoid this nightmare. You will study investment choices, and the risks and returns of each; investment strategies and your risk-return appetite; and behaviours that can impair effective investment decisions.
The Open University’s Centre for the Public Understanding of Finance created this course, with the generous support of True Potential LLP.
What topics will you cover?
- Week 1: Why and how should we invest for the future?
- Week 2: The spectrum of personal investments
- Week 3: Devising investment strategies – principles and practice
- Week 4: Investment in practice: practices, styles, history and performance
- Week 5: Investing for retirement: planning your pension
- Week 6: Investment and human behaviour
Who is the course for?
This course is intended for those with an interest in developing their personal financial skills to make good decisions when managing their investments and buying investment products. The course does not require any previous experience of this subject.