Understand the key principles of public financial management
The public sector provides a wide range of important services to citizens, including healthcare, education, transport, policing, justice and defence.
This online course, run in partnership with The Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy, introduces you to the main features of public sector financial management, in a way that allows you to apply them to your own context.
You’ll discover how there is more to public finance than taxes, understand where public money comes from, and examine how and why it gets spent.
What topics will you cover?
- The differences between financial management in the public and private sectors.
- The basics of taxation, including different types of taxes and their features.
- Different approaches to budgeting and their strengths and weaknesses.
- The key internal controls for managing the finances of any organisation.
- The prevention of fraud and corruption.
- The five Es of value for money: effectiveness, economy, efficiency, equity, ethics.
- How to put a value on the costs and benefits of public services.
- The importance of accountability and transparency in the management of public money.
- The role of external and internal auditors and what an audit opinion means.
Upgrade - $94
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLManagingPublicMoney to talk about this course on social media.