Duration 4 weeks
Weekly study 3 hours
Extra benefits From $84 Find out more
Understand the key principles of public financial management
The public sector provides a wide range of important services to citizens, including healthcare, education, transport, policing, justice and defence.
This online course, run in partnership with The Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy, introduces you to the main features of public sector financial management, in a way that allows you to apply them to your own context.
You’ll discover how there is more to public finance than taxes, understand where public money comes from, and examine how and why it gets spent.
What topics will you cover?
- The differences between financial management in the public and private sectors.
- The basics of taxation, including different types of taxes and their features.
- Different approaches to budgeting and their strengths and weaknesses.
- The key internal controls for managing the finances of any organisation.
- The prevention of fraud and corruption.
- The five Es of value for money: effectiveness, economy, efficiency, equity, ethics.
- How to put a value on the costs and benefits of public services.
- The importance of accountability and transparency in the management of public money.
- The role of external and internal auditors and what an audit opinion means.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This course provides a practical introduction for anyone drawn to working in public financial management, as well as essential continuous professional development for early career public finance professionals.
It is also suitable for managers in public bodies and charities, whose roles involve public financial management - for example, doctors, librarians, social workers, police officers, engineers or civil servants.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get: