Why join the course?
Islam is the second largest religion in the world today and dominates much of the current geopolitical discourse. People are increasingly bombarded by dramatic headlines, yet general knowledge of Muslims and their faith can be poor. There is consequently a need for a balanced and well-informed understanding of the current debates.
This course uses Britain as a case study to shed light on wider issues. It reflects the work of the Islam-UK Centre at Cardiff University, the research that we have conducted and focuses on the everyday lives of Muslims in Britain.
What topics will you cover?
- Islamic Practice: An outline of Islamic practices and beliefs plus an introduction to the different viewpoints within Islam.
- History of Islam in Britain: An exploration of the longstanding associations between Islam and Britain, including Islamic influences on British society and the well-established connections between Britain and the countries from which many British Muslims originally hailed.
- Settlement Patterns: The origins and makeup of today’s British Muslim communities.
- Cultural Diversity Confronting the ‘myth’ of a homogenous Muslim community through an exploration of the various religious and cultural influences that characterise and inform Muslim communities in Britain today.
- Contemporary Debates: An examination of how the above topics feed into the contemporary debates and what the future might hold.
When would you like to start?
Who is the course for?
The course is open to anyone with an interest in religion, culture and history, whether you are a beginner, experienced learner or returning to study.
Who will you learn with?
Research Associate at the Islam-UK Centre, Cardiff University.
I'm a Research Associate in British Muslim Studies at Cardiff University where I teach the MA module 'History and Development of Muslim Communities in Britain': https://cardiff.academia.edu/RiyazTimol
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLIslamUK to talk about this course on social media.