- Duration6 weeks
- Weekly study5 hours
- Extra BenefitsFrom $79
One Health: Connecting Humans, Animals and the Environment
Expand how you address health issues, learning from top One Health experts.
In today’s globalised world, old diseases persist and new illnesses spread faster than ever thanks to interconnected ecosystems and the close ties between humans and animals. Stressing this interrelatedness, One Health calls for closer cooperation between human and animal health. This course explores how One Health works in practice, bringing together different scientific perspectives. You will, for instance, study vaccination coverage data and discuss food safety enhancement. You learn how to calculate the added value resulting from the One Health approach using case studies.
What topics will you cover?
- Advantages of a closer cooperation between human and animal health
- Transdisciplinary processes that can solve an everyday One Health problem
- Shortfalls resulting from poor communication between human doctors and veterinarians
- Social-ecological perspectives for the improvement of human and animal well-being
- Fundamental principles of cross-sector human and animal health economics
- Environmental policy and law that supports food safety
- Prevention of diseases from livestock to human via food
- Matrix calculations to describe growth rates of populations
- Principles of disease transmission dynamics between humans and animals
- Collection of vaccination coverage data
- Interpretation of vaccination coverage data
- The rabies problem in the World and the potential for its elimination in Africa
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
The only thing you need to bring to this course is an interest in the relationship between humans and animals in different cultures and how to describe these qualitatively and quantitatively. You don’t need prior knowledge of human or veterinary medicine to benefit from this course - it addresses non-professionals as well as health professionals and those working in politics, NGOs, and students of veterinary and human medicine throughout the world.
Who will you learn with?
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLonehealth to talk about this course on social media.