Weekly study3 hours
Preparing for a PGCE
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Get a headstart in the world of teaching with this introductory course
The PGCE is a Postgraduate Certificate in Education that proves your credentials as a teacher in England, and can also allow you to teach abroad.
As a potentially important qualification to gain, preparing yourself to study for it is important. On this course, you’ll examine the academic literature around what teaching and learning in schools look like.
Based upon the University of Warwick’s successful PGCE programme, you’ll learn observational teaching skills – along with key legal knowledge – that will stand you in great stead for the PGCE to come.
- The legal framework around teaching
- What teaching and learning looks like
- Lesson observation skills
- Academic literature to prepare you for teaching
Date to be announced
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Investigate what might be involved in completing a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) programme
- Reflect upon your own motivations for wanting to become a teacher
- Develop initial understanding of the centrality of safeguarding to the role of the teacher and some key aspects of safeguarding.
- Investigate the importance of reflective practice for teachers
- Explore the importance of good mental health and wellbeing for teachers
- Identify the importance of subject knowledge for teachers and begin to develop your own subject knowledge in areas of need
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone who has accepted a place on an English PGCE course or is preparing for a teaching career in higher or further education
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.