Visualise, plan, manage and evaluate projects successfully
Whatever the type or scale of your project, delivering great results, on time and budget, is always a challenge.
This online course introduces you to the essential skills and processes that support successful project management and helps you apply them to your own context.
While other project management courses propose complex methods and techniques, this course will give you the skill-set to play an active role in a project environment right away.
You will also gain confidence with project document templates in Word, Excel and Powerpoint, as well as some web tools for project management.
- Project management definition
- Project lifecycle
- Initiation phase: scope and objectives definition, project stakeholders analysis
- Planning phase: Work Breakdown Structure, Gantt diagram, project budget, project team creation, project risk assessment, the Critical Path Method
- Execution phase: kick-off meeting, project monitoring and control, project team meetings, earned value analysis, project team motivation, evaluation and incentives
- Closure phase: project review and learning from closed projects
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the main aspects of each phase of the project lifecycle
- Apply principles and techniques of effective project management
- Identify models and templates to assist project management
- Develop time management, prioritisation, communication, and team management skills
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at those already or likely to be involved in projects whether professional or personal. It assumes no prior project management or business knowledge, though an interest in the topic would be beneficial. Whether you’re at the start of your career and need an introduction to the subject, or you’ve been managing projects for years and are seeking to reflect on your experiences, you will get a lot out of this formal, yet practice-oriented, learning experience.
For further information about registration, the final assessment course, your eligibility and the BA in Business Management, visit the Open University website.
This course is supported by the Association for Project Management (APM), the chartered body for the project profession. APM is committed to developing and promoting project and programme management through its FIVE Dimensions of Professionalism.
IMPORTANT! If you are aiming to use your study of courses in the Business and Finance Fundamentals program to obtain academic credit, please be aware that the final planned presentation of the Open University Assessment Course BXM191 Business and Finance Fundamentals in Practice starts October 2020. Please ensure that you allow yourself enough time to obtain all eight Certificates of Achievement from courses in the program before registering for the Assessment Course. Details of runs of the relevant FutureLearn courses in 2019 and 2020 are available here.
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
- LocationMilton Keynes, UK
- World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLBFproject to talk about this course on social media.