Discover the fundamentals of effective PSHE education pedagogy and planning, including health, sex, and relationships education.
Weekly study2 hours
PSHE Education: Helping Children Navigate a Complex World
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Explore how to provide safe and effective PSHE education
Personal, social, health, and economic (PSHE) education is the school subject that prepares children and young people for life. It covers health and wellbeing, relationships and sex, careers and financial capability.
Most elements of PSHE education are now compulsory in England. When taught well, PSHE can have a big impact on individuals and society, but there are some basic principles to learn before you step into the classroom.
On this course, you’ll learn principles of safe PSHE teaching practice and how to plan and teach your own PSHE lessons with confidence.
You’ll learn how PSHE has developed globally and examine research that is applicable to teachers internationally.
What topics will you cover?
- Historic and international picture of PSHE education – how the subject has developed or is approached differently in different countries
- Safe practice principles in PSHE education – how to teach PSHE education safely for all pupils
- Effective lesson planning for PSHE education, including assessment
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain how PSHE education has developed globally and over time
- Explore the impact of PSHE education, for all young people and for your pupils
- Explain core evidence-based principles of safe and effective PSHE education
- Design your own PSHE lesson in line with safe and effective practice
- Collaborate with other PSHE professionals around the world
Who is the course for?
This course is targeted at PSHE teachers in England, or teachers of any aspect of health or relationships and sex education around the world.
In particular, this course will support teachers who have not received any face-to-face training for PSHE education or would like to develop professionally in PSHE education.
Who will you learn with?
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #PSHE_FutureLearn to talk about this course on social media.