- Duration6 weeks
- Weekly study4 hours
- 100% onlineLearn at your own pace
- Extra BenefitsFrom $64
Literature in the Digital Age: from Close Reading to Distant Reading
As we make sense of what we read, we construe meaning using the cultural technique of interpretation. Only rarely do we actually reflect this process: what are the means that help us understand literary texts? How does interpretation work? And how has our increasing use of electronic devices changed the way we read and interpret literature?
This free online course addresses these questions as it introduces you to a variety of ways of interpreting literary texts. We will look into time-tested methods such as close reading and will also address more recent practices such as computer-based distant reading.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Reflect on the different lay and professional reading strategies that are available for reading literature today.
- Describe the various media in which we read literature in the digital age.
- Identify the strengths and weaknesses of different reading strategies.
- Apply the core method of literary studies: close reading.
- Investigate the various strategies you use on a daily basis as you read online texts.
- Engage in a cooperative form of online reading called social reading.
- Compare two forms of historical readings of literary texts: historical and literary-historical contextualization.
- Discuss the uses and limitations of distant reading, a recent scholarly approach to literary texts that relies on big data and computer analysis.
- Report on your own distant reading experiment, using the Google Ngram Viewer.
- Explore approaches to literary texts that do not seek to interpret them but focus on their surface and materiality.
Who is the course for?
This course is for people from all walks of life who enjoy reading literature and would like to know how literary scholars interpret texts in the digital age.
If you are a student looking for an introduction to literary analysis, ‘Literature in the Digital Age’ will provide that.
The only requirement is that you like to read and love to reflect your experience and discuss it with others.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.