- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- Extra BenefitsFrom $69
Emergency Management: Risk, Incidents and Leadership
Emergency managers understand the importance of managing risks during dynamic incidents.
This online course will provide you with an introduction to the concepts, issues, processes and structures relevant to the management of risk during the emergency phase of an incident. This will include an examination of the relationship between formal risk management and command systems and leadership, including a look at the complex world of decision-making.
- Risk management and incident command systems
- The incident timeline
- Incident review and debrief processes
- Decision-making and situational awareness
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Evaluate the relationship between leadership and followership
- Explain what factors influence risk and why risk management is important to the incident manager
- Describe how people make decisions and how leadership and followership influence decision-making processes
- Explore why emergency incidents go wrong and why good situational awareness is so important in preventing disasters
- Describe various incident command systems
- Describe leadership in the context of emergency incidents
Who is the course for?
This course is for any emergency management practitioners operating at or aiming to operate in the future at tactical or strategic level, in any discipline and in any country. It will introduce the key concepts and provide a look forward to an online MSc degree available on FutureLearn.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!
How do degrees work on FutureLearn?
Which program and degree is this course part of?
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLincident to talk about this course on social media.