Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $79
Robert Burns: Poems, Songs and Legacy
Celebrate Robert Burns with this free online course.
This free course from the Centre for Robert Burns Studies, University of Glasgow, will introduce you to the life, works and global celebrity of Robert Burns.
You’ll examine poems, songs, manuscripts, and objects used to commemorate the poet. You’ll also develop your understanding of Robert Burns’s posthumous reputation - from Burns Suppers and Burns Night through to Hogmanay.
- The cultural reputation of Robert Burns as patriot, lover, and man of the people
- Robert Burns as poet and songwriter
- Major works such as ‘Scots Wha Hae’, ‘Ae Fond Kiss’, ‘A Man’s a Man’, ‘The Vision’, and ‘Auld Lang Syne’
- The commemoration of Burns in material culture
- The international celebrity and legacy of Burns
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the poems, songs and legacy of Robert Burns
- Discuss the reputation of Burns as a national and international poet
- Collaborate with other learners in researching and mapping examples of Burns's global reach
- Develop an understanding of Burns's place in Scottish literary tradition
- Engage with diverse media related to the study of Burns, including poems, song recordings, videos, images, maps, and manuscripts
Who is the course for?
No previous experience or qualifications are required for this course - just an interest in Robert Burns, Scottish history and culture, or poetry and song in general.
It is ideal for anyone considering further study in the field, such the courses offered by the Centre for Robert Burns Studies at the University of Glasgow.
Who developed the course?
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.