Skip to 0 minutes and 4 secondsWhen I say robotics, what is it that you imagine? Do you picture your favourite robots from fiction? There are many, many depictions of robots in fiction. There are robots in books, in TV series and in the movies. But robots today are a very real technology and a very, very useful technology. There are an increasing number of applications of robots in our society. Robots build things for us, they help us explore and monitor our world, and they can even heal us. Robotics is a an important technology. It's an important technology today, and it will be more important in the future. My name's Professor Peter Corke. Please join me as we explore the role of robots in our society.
Discover how we use robots now and into the future.
Once only found in fiction, robots are being applied in an increasing array of ways in society, from mechanisation of industrial tasks to exploring places humans can’t go. This course starts with your perceptions of robotics, describes different types of robots, and leads into a discussion of the future: knowing we can use robots, should we? We then use case studies to show how robotics is being applied to help solve key issues facing society today: food production, aging populations, transport, and environmental change.
What topics will you cover?
- The importance of robotics as a field
- How ideas and attitudes towards robots have formed from fiction
- Defining a real robot
- How different types of robots are being applied today
- Ethical, privacy and safety considerations of using robotics
- Predicting the role of robots in future work
- How robotics might be applied to help solve society’s big challenges: food production, ageing populations, transport and environmental change
Upgrade - $94
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLRobotsoc to talk about this course on social media.