About the course
The sharing economy is a 21st Century phenomenon that has shaken the status quo in accommodation, transport, personal services, media and entertainment sectors.
This course provides an introduction to the sharing economy and examines its impact on economies, businesses and consumers. The growth of the sharing economy in many industry sectors highlights the challenges and opportunities while providing a range of options to provide innovative consumer experiences.
Trace the history of the sharing economy
The course begins by examining the emergence of the sharing economy by focusing on how and why it has grown so rapidly and its effect on established business models, and on the consumer experience. You will also learn from various entrepreneurs and early adopters who have taken a shot at creating value in a shared marketplace.
Explore the present-day sharing economy
We will investigate and evaluate the sharing economy by examining its drivers, the challenges and opportunities it presents and the implications for business.
Your part in the sharing economy
Whether you want to improve your own prospects, help your business capitalise on the sharing economy or simply be versed in the sharing economy, this course will provide you with the knowledge and skills to explore this business and economic disruptor.
- The growth of the shared economy across multiple sectors which highlights the rapid global and community trend.
- How entrepreneurs have used sharing economy models to start new business opportunities.
- The different consumer experiences when using share economy brands to identify the incentives and challenges associated with each model.
- Different ways in which value is created and exchanged in the sharing economy.
- The role of the global financial crises and how it influences consumer and social consumption behaviour.
- The types of regulation that are currently in place or should be introduced to the sharing economy market to better protect the consumer.
- The environment benefits from the reuse of goods and how it can impact costs.
- The distinction between ‘sharing for profit’ and traditional sharing to inform your views on the future trend of the sharing economy.
- The implications of the sharing economy on consumption and its impact on the behaviour of peer-to-peer sharing participants and their reliance on trust currency.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Discuss the concept of a sharing economy
- Analyse the various types of sharing economy and approaches to them
- Outline how the sharing economy impacts existing business practices and shapes consumption trends
- Assess some of the regulatory and economic implications of the sharing economy
- Identify criticisms of the sharing economy
- Investigate and sketch out what the future holds for the sharing economy
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at professionals and students in disciplines of operations, finance, marketing, or human resources, who wish to learn more about the share economy.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLRMITShareEconomy to talk about this course on social media.