- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
Simulation for Logistics: An Introduction
Explore the basics of logistics simulation to help develop decision-making
On this course, you will be shown how current operations work within a business supply chain and will explore affordable scenarios for further improvements.
You will explore the benefits of logistics simulation along with limitation and other modelling steps. You will also gain the opportunity to learn how to better deal with uncertainty and reduce future business risks.
- Introduction to logistics business simulation
- What is simulation?
- Why do we need simulation?
- What can simulation do?
- Where can simulation be used?
- Advantages and disadvantages of simulation
- How is simulation accomplished?
- Simulation steps
- Warehouse management example
- Session summary
- Suggested readings
- Introduction to ARENA Rockwell software and modelling modules
- Fundamental components, including system, model and modelling
- Modelling elements, including entity, attribute, activity, event and state variables
- Basics of selecting entities
- Basics of selecting attributes
- Visual examples of system modelling elements
- System analysis-tabular form
- Building a first ARENA simulation model
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Assess when and where simulation is needed
- Investigate the ability of simulation to solve logistics problems
- Explore the simulation steps that can be applied to simulate systems
- Develop an understanding of the system concept and its components
- Explore different types of system elements
- Identify ways of using such elements to represent the system being modelled
Who is the course for?
This course is of particular interest to anyone with a keen interest in logistics operations and how to manage them efficiently while facing uncertainties in a virtual environment.
Please note that the staff described in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below may be subject to change.
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!