Simulation for Logistics: An Introduction
Duration 2 weeks
Weekly study 3 hours
Extra benefits From $69 Find out more
Explore the basics of logistics simulation to help develop decision-making
On this course, you will be shown how current operations work within a business supply chain and will explore affordable scenarios for further improvements.
You will explore the benefits of logistics simulation along with limitation and other modelling steps. You will also gain the opportunity to learn how to better deal with uncertainty and reduce future business risks.
What topics will you cover?
- Introduction to logistics business simulation
- What is simulation?
- Why do we need simulation?
- What can simulation do?
- Where can simulation be used?
- Advantages and disadvantages of simulation
- How is simulation accomplished?
- Simulation steps
- Warehouse management example
- Session summary
- Suggested readings
- Introduction to ARENA Rockwell software and modelling modules
- Fundamental components, including system, model and modelling
- Modelling elements, including entity, attribute, activity, event and state variables
- Basics of selecting entities
- Basics of selecting attributes
- Visual examples of system modelling elements
- System analysis-tabular form
- Building a first ARENA simulation model
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This course is of particular interest to anyone with a keen interest in logistics operations and how to manage them efficiently while facing uncertainties in a virtual environment.
Please note that the staff described in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below may be subject to change.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!