Why join the course?
This free online course is the first of six in the Spanish for Beginners program. It will introduce you to the basic language, so that you are able to:
- greet people and introduce yourself and others;
- talk about where you live and where you come from;
- talk about what you do;
- talk about the languages you speak;
- ask for clarification or repetition when you don’t understand.
Start to speak, listen, read and write in Spanish
During the four weeks of the course, you will learn some of the vocabulary and phrases you need to help you interact with people at a basic level.
You will start to develop the four language skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing through a range of activities that introduce the language in authentic settings, and the audio and video resources will show you the language in action.
There are some activities when you will also practise your speaking skills, as it is important that you start speaking as soon as possible!
You will also learn some essential Spanish grammar, including some basic verbs. Finally, you will get some tips and advice on how to develop your study skills, so that you become a successful language learner.
Take your Spanish learning offline by purchasing two hours of downloadable audio files and transcripts made by the course creators at The Open University. These MP3s are a great way to practise your Spanish listening and speaking wherever you are. They cover examples and exercises in the same topics as the course.
What topics will you cover?
- Greet people and introduce yourself and others;
- Talk about where you live and where you come from;
- Talk about what you do;
- Talk about the languages you speak;
- Ask for clarification or repetition when you don’t understand.
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at people with no prior knowledge of Spanish who want to learn the basic language and find out about the Spanish-speaking world. It will be taught through English.
Who will you learn with?
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
- LocationMilton Keynes, UK
- World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLLearnSpanish to talk about this course on social media.