Weekly study4 hours
Spanish for Beginners 5: Getting Things Done
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
This free online course is the fifth of six in the Spanish for Beginners program. It will introduce you to the language that you need to:
- make phone calls;
- talk about what you are doing;
- book hotel and other holiday accommodation;
- shop for food;
- make suggestions, and accept and decline invitations.
Learn Spanish to use on the phone and get things done
During the four weeks of the course, you will learn the vocabulary and phrases you need to get things done, such as expressions to use on the phone, when booking a hotel or a holiday apartment, shopping for food, or arranging to go out. You will also learn to use the present continuous to talk about what you are doing.
You will continue to develop your language skills, and practice how to talk on the phone in Spanish; this can be quite daunting, so you will also find tips and advice on how to do it.
You will find out about several festivals and celebrations from the Spanish-speaking world, including the Barranquilla Carnival in Colombia.
- Make phone calls;
- Talk about what you are doing;
- Book hotel and holiday accommodation;
- Shop for food;
- Make suggestions, and accept and decline invitations.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop skills in basic Spanish for interacting in common communicative situations
- Engage in simple communication in Spanish
- Apply the language introduced in the course in order to get things done, making phone calls, booking holiday accommodation and shopping for food
- Apply the language introduced to make suggestions and accept and decline invitations
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at people with little prior knowledge of Spanish, who want to learn the basic language and find out about the Spanish-speaking world. The course assumes that you have already studied the previous four courses in the Spanish for Beginners program. This course is taught through English.
Who developed the course?
As the UK’s largest university, The Open University (OU) supports thousands of students to achieve their goals and ambitions via supported distance learning, helping to fit learning around professional and personal life commitments.
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020