Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Special Diets: Cooking for Allergies and Intolerances with BBC Good Food
Explore the basic principles of food safety
Whether you’re experiencing an allergy or intolerance, or you’re cooking for someone with special dietary requirements, this five-week course will take you through the basics of safely preparing meals free from allergens.
You’ll learn how to maintain nutritional balance while trying to avoid the top food allergens such as gluten, dairy, peanuts, and eggs.
With this knowledge, you’ll have the confidence to find and cook delicious recipes to enjoy and share.
Understand the difference between food intolerance and allergy
The course will break down the most common types of food allergens before exploring the difference between an allergy and intolerance.
This understanding will help you navigate food labels and restaurant menus for different dietary requirements.
Learn how to avoid food allergens and cook safe meals
On the course, you’ll explore ingredient alternatives as you research and choose satisfying, delicious, and safe recipes.
You’ll be guided by the experts at BBC Good Food as you experiment with new foods, flavours, and techniques to support your health.
By the end of the course, you’ll know how to create balanced and nutritious meals and recognise allergens in recipes so that you can modify your meals without losing taste.
Cooking for allergies & intolerances with BBC Good Food explores the basic principles of living with a food allergy or intolerance such as how to navigate food labels and safely prepare food. This course will look at the difference between a food allergy and a food intolerance, breakdown the most common types of food allergens and investigate the best alternative ingredients and recipes to attain nutritional balance while trying to avoid some of the top food allergens such as gluten, dairy, peanuts and eggs.
You’ll also learn:
• what food allergies are vs. food intolerances
• a breakdown of the most common types of food allergens
• how to navigate food labels
• about food safety when preparing meals for those with allergies and intolerances
• the best alternative ingredient options for free-from meals
• delicious recipe ideas to try when cooking for those with allergies and intolerances
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore what food allergies are vs. food intolerances
- Discuss the most common types of food allergens
- Identify and understand allergens on food labels
- Identify the best alternative ingredient options for free-from meals
- Experiment with delicious recipes to try when cooking for those with allergies and intolerances
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about food allergies and intolerances.
You may have an existing food allergy/intolerance or you might want to understand how to cater to family or friends with a dietary requirement.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends