Discover the importance of supply chain management in the digital economy
In the age of digital transformation, the channels through which goods and services reach end users are growing increasingly intricate. This has created new opportunities for businesses to gain competitive advantage and to deliver greater value through effective supply chain management.
On this course, you’ll gain a critical appreciation of how supply chains work and how they are changing in the digital economy.
Topics covered include the processes which make up digital supply chains, assessing risks, and supply chain strategy. Finally, you’ll consider the future of supply chain management.
What topics will you cover?
- What supply chain management is and why it is important
- The distinct processes that make up a digital supply chain
- How risk is assessed in the digital supply chain
- How organisations are using the supply chain to gain a competitive advantage
- Competitive advantage in the digital supply chain
- How supply chain management fits with the company’s strategy
- The future of supply chain management
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify and understand the impact of the digital economy on structure and function of a supply chain, recognising opportunities to reduce cost and create value in your own professional context.
- Demonstrate and recognising the impact of the digital economy when taking an informed approach to decisions such as outsourcing and quality management.
- Improve your analytical and prioritising skills.
- Develop your ethical awareness as a manager.
Who is the course for?
This course is intended for anyone who wants to learn about supply chain management, and how it is being changed by the digital economy. No previous experience of studying supply chain management is required, but some basic knowledge of how businesses work would be beneficial. The course would be useful for current or prospective business and management students, or business owners or those working in a relevant field hoping to update their knowledge.
If you are aiming to use your study of courses in the Digital Economy program to obtain academic credit, please be aware that the final planned presentation of the Open University Assessment Course BXM871 Managing in the Digital Economy starts July 2020. Please ensure that you allow yourself enough time to obtain all four Certificates of Achievement from courses in the program before registering for the Assessment Course. Details of runs of the relevant FutureLearn courses in 2020 are available here.
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
- LocationMilton Keynes, UK
- World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLDEsupplychain to talk about this course on social media.