- Duration6 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineLearn at your own pace
- Extra BenefitsFrom $94
Supporting Physical Development in Early Childhood
Discover the benefits of physical activity for children and babies
On this course, you’ll discover the importance of physical activity for young children’s overall development.
As you explore the holistic health and developmental benefits of physical activity, you’ll learn low cost, effective ways of ensuring babies and young children meet the 180 minutes per day of recommended activity.
You’ll find out how physical activity can improve child mental health and wellbeing, as well as contribute to the prevention of childhood obesity.
The course draws on research and expertise from academics from early childhood, sport and fitness at Public Health England.
• Growth and physical development of babies and young children
• The relationship between physical development and other areas of development
• Why physical development should be supported
• Factors that can impact supporting babies and young children’s physical development – challenges and solutions
• Supporting physical development through indoor and outdoor play and activities
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the importance of movement skills to the overall health, wellbeing and development of young children
- Explore the relationship between physical growth and development
- Describe the body systems and their relationship to moving and learning
- Describe the relationship between movement skills/language and communication skills/literacy
- Identify the appropriate physical/movement activities for each age and stage of development from 0–5 yrs
- Explore how parents and practitioners can work together to support the physical development of all children
Who is the course for?
The course is designed for adults involved in caring for or educating babies and young children.
As well as being aimed at practitioners in the workforce, the course will give adults, including parents, who are involved in the care and education of babies and young children the opportunity to access evidence-based research.
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
- LocationMilton Keynes, UK
- World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please enable all cookies and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.