Skip to 0 minutes and 6 seconds I’m Charles Egbu. And I’m the Dean of School of the Built Environment and Architecture at London South Bank University, London, United Kingdom. Almost everything we do relates around sustainability. It’s about the way we work and the way we live our lives and what that means to the society. It’s about responsibility of what we do for now and for the future. And I very much welcome and encourage you to be part and parcel of this course. In this course, you will learn much more about our sustainability from a theoretical and practical point of view. It’s about you and the society you are part of. I hope you enjoy the course.
Weekly study2 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $79
Sustainable Construction and Development
Improve your understanding of sustainable construction and development
Sustainable development meets the needs of the present by carrying out activities that do not compromise future generations’ ability to meet their own needs.
On this course, you’ll learn about the obligations and actions that play a role in the concept and practice of sustainability in construction and development.
You’ll explore the need for environmental, economic and social sustainability, and the implications for the construction industry.
You’ll learn best practices from successful sustainability initiatives, and understand the challenge of achieving sustainability in the future.
- The complexities of sustainability in construction and development of the built assets, together with challenges, importance, and impact of role performance.
- Environmental sustainability in construction and development of built assets, and the important roles of innovations, professionalism, ethics, culture and procurement practices and regulations.
- Economic sustainability and the roles of effective business cases, organisational size, dynamics of networks & integrated delivery; and procurement practices.
- Social sustainability in construction and development of built assets, and the roles of construction processes, outputs and outcomes on people and society.
- Lessons learned from good and best practices in sustainability, and how these could be embraced and taken-up, together with challenges and appropriate guidelines for implementation.
- Future challenges in sustainable development based on possible scenarios considering the level of success of current mitigation and adaptation measures.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate understanding of the complexities of sustainability from generic and project specific perspectives, and the obligations of stakeholders.
- Evaluate the environmental considerations of sustainability and their implications on construction processes and practices
- Evaluate economic considerations of sustainability and their implications on construction processes and practices.
- Evaluate social considerations of sustainability and their implications on construction processes and practices.
- Demonstrate knowledge of lessons learned from good practices of sustainability initiatives, and better understand how these could be implemented in projects.
- Explain the nature of the task of attaining sustainability in the built environment in future, considering the most likely future scenario of the sustainable development agenda.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in sustainable construction and development, but may be of particular interest to those working in or studying construction and the wider built environment.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.