Skip to 0 minutes and 6 secondsI'm Charles Egbu. And I'm the Dean of School of the Built Environment and Architecture at London South Bank University, London, United Kingdom. Almost everything we do relates around sustainability. It's about the way we work and the way we live our lives and what that means to the society. It's about responsibility of what we do for now and for the future. And I very much welcome and encourage you to be part and parcel of this course. In this course, you will learn much more about our sustainability from a theoretical and practical point of view. It's about you and the society you are part of. I hope you enjoy the course.
Improve your understanding of sustainable construction and development
Sustainable development meets the needs of the present by carrying out activities that do not compromise future generations’ ability to meet their own needs.
On this course, you’ll learn about the obligations and actions that play a role in the concept and practice of sustainability in construction and development.
You’ll explore the need for environmental, economic and social sustainability, and the implications for the construction industry.
You’ll learn best practices from successful sustainability initiatives, and understand the challenge of achieving sustainability in the future.
What topics will you cover?
- The complexities of sustainability in construction and development of the built assets, together with challenges, importance, and impact of role performance.
- Environmental sustainability in construction and development of built assets, and the important roles of innovations, professionalism, ethics, culture and procurement practices and regulations.
- Economic sustainability and the roles of effective business cases, organisational size, dynamics of networks & integrated delivery; and procurement practices.
- Social sustainability in construction and development of built assets, and the roles of construction processes, outputs and outcomes on people and society.
- Lessons learned from good and best practices in sustainability, and how these could be embraced and taken-up, together with challenges and appropriate guidelines for implementation.
- Future challenges in sustainable development based on possible scenarios considering the level of success of current mitigation and adaptation measures.
When would you like to start?
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in sustainable construction and development, but may be of particular interest to those working in or studying construction and the wider built environment.
Who will you learn with?
Currently Professor of Sustainability and Environmental Law at London South Bank University, also leads the Centre for Sustainability and Resilient Infrastructure & Communities. Em: firstname.lastname@example.org
Working with industry and for industry, CIOB Academy helps support your employees on their development paths and make sure your company meets industry demands now and in the future.
Join this course
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #sustainableconstruction to talk about this course on social media.