Weekly study2 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $49
Introduction to Sustainable Practices in Food Service
Improve your sustainable practices within your organisation
Sustainability isn’t just about ‘greening’; sustainability actually means ‘meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs.’
On this course, you’ll look at general global sustainability concepts, issues, and concerns, before focusing on sustainability specifically within food service and what you can do to reduce your impact.
Explore the environmental impact of the food industry
There are many different aspects of sustainability that affect us all. From climate change to carbon footprints, you’ll learn about the various environmental issues in general terms.
You’ll then hone in on sustainability in the food industry, delving into food waste, non-renewable energy consumption, and plastic pollution, among other topics. This will help you to discuss the decisions, actions, and reasons for implementing sustainability practices.
Discover how to implement sustainable practices within a food business
This course will guide you through the different ways that you can implement sustainable practices in both your personal life and in a food service organisation.
You’ll examine the circular economy, using a real-life example to demonstrate the practical ways that it can work. You’ll also discuss how a food service company could consider some key aspects of sustainability, alongside discussing the various challenges you might face.
By the end of this course, you’ll have both strategies and support to create and work within sustainable food service businesses.
Learn from the experts at the ICS
The ICS, accredited by the World Chefs’ Association, are committed to providing professional, excellent, technology-driven education to improve every aspect of the food industry.
- Brief history of sustainability
- What does sustainability mean to you?
- The greatest challenge that humans have ever faced
- Carbon footprint, greenhouse gasses and climate change explained
- Human impacts on the environment
- Future of Food
- Sustainability in Food Service
- Consumer expectations - ethical consumerism
- The circular economy
- Food service response to sustainability
- Hospitality Schools response to adopting sustainability
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain global sustainability concepts, issues and concerns
- Discuss the decisions, actions, and reasons for implementing sustainability in a food service organization
- Identify some challenges a business might face when implementing sustainable practices
- Identify ways that an individual can implement sustainable choices.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone working in the food industry, but specifically small business owners and caterers as the course presents clear strategies for making your work sustainable.
What software or tools do you need?
There are no specific requirements however we will direct you to download an App and we will guide you on where to find it.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.