Create a more sustainable food service business and make a difference to your bottom line, your stakeholders, and the environment.
Weekly study1 hour
Premium course$14What's included?
Introduction to Sustainable Practices in Food Service
This course has been certified by the CPD Certification Service as conforming to continuing professional development principles. Find out more.
Improve your sustainable practices within your organisation
Sustainability isn’t just about ‘greening’; sustainability actually means ‘meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs.’
On this course, you’ll look at general global sustainability concepts, issues, and concerns, before focusing on sustainability specifically within food service and what you can do to reduce your impact.
Explore the environmental impact of the food industry
There are many different aspects of sustainability that affect us all. From climate change to carbon footprints, you’ll learn about the various environmental issues in general terms.
You’ll then hone in on sustainability in the food industry, delving into food waste, non-renewable energy consumption, and plastic pollution, among other topics. This will help you to discuss the decisions, actions, and reasons for implementing sustainability practices.
Discover how to implement sustainable practices within a food business
This course will guide you through the different ways that you can implement sustainable practices in both your personal life and in a food service organisation.
You’ll examine the circular economy, using a real-life example to demonstrate the practical ways that it can work. You’ll also discuss how a food service company could consider some key aspects of sustainability, alongside discussing the various challenges you might face.
By the end of this course, you’ll have both strategies and support to create and work within sustainable food service businesses.
Learn from the experts at the ICS
The ICS, accredited by the World Chefs’ Association, are committed to providing professional, excellent, technology-driven education to improve every aspect of the food industry.
What topics will you cover?
- Brief history of sustainability
- What does sustainability mean to you?
- The greatest challenge that humans have ever faced
- Carbon footprint, greenhouse gasses and climate change explained
- Human impacts on the environment
- Future of Food
- Sustainability in Food Service
- Consumer expectations - ethical consumerism
- The circular economy
- Food service response to sustainability
- Hospitality Schools response to adopting sustainability
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain global sustainability concepts, issues and concerns
- Discuss the decisions, actions, and reasons for implementing sustainability in a food service organization
- Identify some challenges a business might face when implementing sustainable practices
- Identify ways that an individual can implement sustainable choices.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone working in the food industry, but specifically small business owners and caterers as the course presents clear strategies for making your work sustainable.
What software or tools do you need?
There are no specific requirements however we will direct you to download an App and we will guide you on where to find it.
Who will you learn with?
Catered for Nelson Mandela
Dignatries in Germany
Banqueting large function organization
Managed large team of chefs
Culinary team chef
Teaching and educating chefs
This is a premium course. These courses are designed for professionals from specific industries looking to learn with a smaller group of like-minded individuals.
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- Tests to validate your learning
- Certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you're eligible
- Download and print your Certificate of Achievement anytime
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #ICSsustainability to talk about this course on social media.
More courses you might like
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.