Weekly study2 hours
Taoism and Western Culture
Taoism, although its origins lie in Ancient China, has a far ranging global influence even to this day. Laozi offered inexhaustible truth for everything on earth in just 5,000 words. Taoism also enjoys equal popularity with the bible. On this course we’ll explore exactly how Taoism is being applied in today’s world.
Understand Taoism across the world
As Taoism has spread it’s been interpreted in many different ways. We’ll have a look at how European and Western cultures are using and applying the various beliefs of Taoism. Plus we’ll learn more about one of the key texts about Taoism: Lao Zi, the Chinese cultural epic.
Learn about Taoism in a variety of ways
Throughout the course you’ll learn about Taoism through vivid and interesting examples and different types of media helping you to explore Taoism fully.
Explore how to apply Taoism
In a hectic modern world full of distraction applying Taoism might seem difficult. This course will offer you some hints and tips on how to apply Taoism in modern society and benefit from the truth Taoism has to offer.
- An American professor’s vision of the Dao De Jing
- Dao De Jing in the west
- The influence of Taoism on European culture
- Taoism and technoetic art
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Interpret some rudimentary knowledge of the Dao De Jing
- Describe some initiatory differences between the Dao De Jing and western culture
- Demonstrate how the Dao De Jing was and is translated, understood, accepted and applied in the west
- Lead the way for the study of the systematic Taoist theories and their applications in the future stages
Who is the course for?
There are no special requirements for this course but an enthusiasm for discovering new ways of thinking might be useful.