Deepen your understanding and improve communication with patients & colleagues
Thanks to ground-breaking research over the past 20 years, new, more targeted treatments have been developed that are changing the way we treat cancer, and providing new hope for patients. Join us and discover the science behind these treatments and learn through quizzes, interviews, articles and patient case studies. Each week you’ll have the opportunity to engage in discussion with other learners on key issues. You’ll learn from experts in the field and gain a deeper understanding of how targeted cancer treatments work to support your patients.
What topics will you cover?
- What are targeted treatments and how are they used today
- Biological concepts behind targeted cancer treatments
- Cell communication and cancer
- Treatments for solid tumours that block cell communication pathways (monoclonal antibodies and kinase inhibitors)
- Communicating to patients about targeted cancer treatments
- Side effects of treatments and how they impact patients’ quality of life
- The unique properties of blood cancers and the targeted therapies used to treat them
- The relationship between cancer and the immune system
- Various immunotherapy strategies including checkpoint inhibitors, adoptive cell transfer and cancer treatment vaccines
- How immunotherapy is reported in the news and managing patient expectations of treatment
- The challenges of drug resistance and the implementation of biomarker tests
- The future of targeted cancer treatments
Who is the course for?
This course has been designed for cancer research nurses and other members of the clinical research team. It can go towards your Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and revalidation.
This course may also be of interest to specialist cancer nurses, pharmacists and medical/science graduates with an interest in this area.
A basic understanding of how cells work is needed to get the most out of this course. Some experience working in cancer is also recommended.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLCancerTreatments to talk about this course on social media.