Weekly study3 hours
Teaching Primary Biology: Evolution and Inheritance
Learn how to teach evolution and inheritance to primary school pupils
When teaching science in primary school, subject knowledge is essential to help students overcome any misconceptions they may have around biology and evolution.
Through this course, you’ll deep dive into the topic of evolution and inheritance as part of the primary school biology and science national curriculum.
Understand the value of sound subject knowledge when teaching primary school science
Most primary school teachers don’t have a science background and aren’t science experts.
This course will develop your subject knowledge teaching the evolution and inheritance elements of the biology curriculum.
Support your key stage 2 pupils with effective teaching strategies
Key stage 2 pupils (aged 7-11) may have various misconceptions around the subject of biology and especially evolution and inheritance.
These can sometimes be hard to identify, explain and overcome.
You’ll learn how to help pupils who are struggling and ensure they fully understand the information and concepts included in the evolution and inheritance element of the English national curriculum.
Discover fun and practical activities for teaching evolution in school
Identifying and utilising the right teaching strategies is key for primary school teachers’ CPD.
You’ll learn how to keep your students engaged throughout the lesson with practical science activities.
You’ll explore various teaching strategies that will encourage participation in the classroom and give your pupils a thorough grounding in this important topic.
- Why good subject knowledge is essential when teaching primary science.
- Developing subject knowledge for the biology in the primary science curriculum.
- Understanding children’s misconceptions and identifying teaching strategies to identify and overcome them.
- Subject knowledge to teach evolution and inheritance.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the importance of good subject knowledge when teaching primary science.
- Develop personal subject knowledge of evolution and inheritance to teach this topic as part of the biology primary science curriculum.
- Apply subject knowledge of biology to class teaching of pupils aged 5-11 years old.
- Explore practical activities to teach scientific concepts in the primary curriculum.
- Identify common misconceptions children may have in primary science concepts.
- Develop teaching strategies to identify and overcome children’s misconceptions.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for primary teachers and trainee teachers in primary education (pupils aged 5-11 years) who want to develop their biology subject knowledge, specifically the topic of evolution and inheritance.
The course refers to the English National Curriculum, but the subject matter is equally transferable to other curricula, and you’ll be encouraged to explore connections with your own national curriculum.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.