Examine DNA code and how it helps our bodies to repair and regulate themselves
Every part of the body is made according to a code that is carried in the body’s cells. This code is called DNA, and knowing how it works is fundamental to understanding the human body.
On this course, you’ll get an introduction to the basics of molecular biology, answer the question ‘what is DNA?’ and learn how DNA structure works inside the human body.
You’ll find out what DNA code represents, how it creates proteins inside the body, and what key molecules are involved. You’ll also learn how these molecules communicate and interact with each other inside the body.
What topics will you cover?
- What are the key molecules involved in molecular biology?
- The role of reproduction in producing an individual’s DNA code
- What does the DNA code represent?
- Using the DNA code to create proteins
- How do molecules within the body communicate with one another?
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Summarise the structure and relevance of DNA
- Describe the processes involved in reproduction at a molecular level that result in an individual’s DNA
- Describe the key molecules involved in protein synthesis
- Explain and compare the different stages of protein synthesis
- Summarise the key principles involved in molecular signalling
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone interested in molecular biology and how DNA code works.
Existing knowledge of components of the body is not essential but you may find it useful to complete What is the Body? if you are completely new to biology.
See all FutureLearn Reviews
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLbodydna to talk about this course on social media.