Weekly study5 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 5
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
The Cyber Security Landscape
Develop your knowledge of cyber security in today’s world
Cyber threats are among the biggest challenges businesses face today. With the advancement and transformation of our digital world, organisations need to focus on managing risks and reducing the cost of cyber crime.
On this course, you’ll identify some of the risks that you face as an individual, as well as the organisations you work for.
You’ll explore key digital security terminology and the role of a security policy for protecting information assets within the context of global communication and the web.
Understand cyber threats
You’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of security concepts and their application to contemporary internet and mobile-based technologies.
You’ll explore the various categories of cyber threat, for example; malware, ransomware and phishing.
Then you’ll consider what constitutes a ‘vulnerability’ and think about the different types of hackers, e.g. recreational, cyber activists, and state sponsored.
Examine the impact of cyber crime, how it affects companies, and the UK government’s response strategy.
Explore digital security risk
Digital security risk is a major issue for organisations worldwide. According to the Center for Strategic and International Studies, total global losses from cyber crime are in excess of $600 billion a year (2018). Cyber crime losses by UK retailers totalled £505 million in 2013 alone.
You’ll explore types of digital security risks, where they occur, who causes them, and identify the risks around your data being lost or used by others, and what you do when your data security has been breached.
Finally, you’ll review the possible motivations of security breaches and what organisations can do to protect themselves, their systems, and their data.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate a systematic understanding of relevant knowledge about organisations, their external context and how they are managed
- Demonstrate an understanding of the changing cyber threat landscape and the developments in cyberspace
- Apply knowledge to a range of situations including IT security, finance, accounting, and organisational behaviour, taking account of the inter-relationships of these topics and their interactions with the business and the industry and external environment
- Demonstrate an understanding of appropriate techniques sufficient to allow detailed investigation into relevant cybersecurity management issues
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone who is keen to increase their knowledge of digital security risks and the tools and techniques used to guard against them.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends